Answers to frequently asked Questions – Consular Services

Consular Service Outreach Program Chiang Mai

There are significant changes to the Consular Service Outreach Program to Chiang Mai for 2019. See here for information at this website.

Notarial Services – No Statutory Declaration for Income

From 7 January 2019 the Australian Embassy Thailand and the Consulate General Phuket NO LONGER witness statutory declarations which declare income or bank balances for Thai Immigration purposes. This applies to the Outreach Program that visits Chiang Mai as well. See Embassy webpage.


Australian passport applications & renewals can be lodged with the Honorary Consul, Chiang Mai – by appointment only.  Please contact the Consulate (Monday – Thursday 9 am to 12 noon) on 091 857 6996 or by email – – or – – to book an appointment.

It takes about 3 to 4 weeks to receive a new passport. ONLY a credit card (visa or mastercard) “authorisation form” is accepted for payment. No cash. or debit cards. Passport applications can also be lodged in person at the Embassy in Bangkok. See Embassy webpage for passport information and application requirements.

Emergency passports – these can be applied for at the Consulate in Chiang Mai or the Embassy in Bangkok.

Australian Passport Videobackground & behind the scene look

Consular Service Limitations – in Chiang Mai

The Consular Service Charter  explains what services can and can not be provided to Australian’s overseas. There are limitations on services available in Chiang Mai as noted below.  Visit Australian Embassy consular service webpage.

Notarial Services – The Consulate in Chiang Mai is not authorised to provide notarial services (statutory declarations, witness signatures, residence certificates or certify true copies) in accordance with the Consular Fees Act & DFAT policy.

Notarial Services are only available at the Embassy in Bangkok or alternatively, some notarial services are available during limited Embassy Consular Service Outreach visits to Chiang Mai. See this Embassy webpage for information.

Register marriage in Thailand  – The Consulate is not able to assist with paperwork requirements but can provide information on the steps involved. See information on this website.

Other information for Australians in Thailand – see this Embassy link

Thailand Visa’s/extensions of stay– The Consulate can not offer advice, information or assistance on obtaining, extending or facilitating visas for Thailand. This is a matter for Thailand Government authorities. If you are in Thailand please contact Thai Immigration.  There are also many Thai Visa Agents in Chiang Mai who can assist with visa matters – these can be found through internet searches. If you are in Australia you need to contact the Thai Embassy, Canberra or a Thai Consulate closest to you for information.

Australian Visa or Citizenship by Decent – The Consulate has no involvement in Australian Immigration matters and is not able to assist with visa and citizenship processes or provide advice. Information and visa application are managed by the Department of Home Affairs (Immigration). You can obtain information at this website.

Updating personal and/or passport details for your Aus Visa

Please update your details on your ImmiAccount or download Form 929 and email the completed form to

Further information is available here. Please note that Passport changes may take 24-48 hours to be reflected in VEVO. This will not affect your travel

Where to certify documents for visa applications

Only a person currently employed in a position from the designated list of occupations can certify copies of your original documents. That person must be an Australian citizen and not related to you by birth, marriage or de facto relationship.

If you apply from outside Australia and do not know an Australian citizen, have your documents certified by someone who – (a) is a citizen of the country you are in, (b) is not related to you (by birth, marriage or de facto relationship) and (c) works in one of the occupations listed on our website

If the certifier has known you for at least one year, they can – (a) complete an identity declaration for you and (b) confirm your photographs are genuine. See: Certified Copy for further information

Alternatively, documents can be certified at the Consular Section of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok.   DFAT can witness and authenticate signatures and provide certain other notarial services (fees apply for these services), please see  Consular Services for more details. Please note: Photocopies of certified copies are NOT acceptable.

– สถานกงสุลออสเตรเลียในจังหวัดเชียงใหม่สำหรับภาคเหนือ – เว็บไซต์นี้มีข้อมูลและข่าวสารการบริการของสถานกงสุล สถานกงสุลไม่รับยื่นคำร้องขอวีซ่า ,หนังสือเดินทาง,หรือให้บริการงานรับรองเอกสาร แต่เราสามารถให้ข้อมูลและแนะนำได้

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close