Role & Functions

The Chiang Mai Consulate, under the guidance of Australian Embassy Bangkok:

provides some consular assistance to Australians,

promotes and strengthen the Australian-Thailand bilateral relationships,

supports the Australian Embassy in the consular district, and

participates in the Consular Corps of Northern Thailand.

Honorary consuls are recognised by the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations 1963. Ron, as the Honorary Consul, is a designated “consular officer” which means “any person, including the head of a consular post, entrusted in that capacity with the exercise of consular functions”.

Consular officers are classified in two categories, namely – career consular officers, and like me, – honorary consular officers.

australian coat of arms

The Honorary Consul of Australia functions:

  • Providing some consular assistance, according to guidelines and in a sensitive manner, to Australians in relation to a range of matters. These include welfare, whereabouts, arrest, imprisonment, hospitalization, death, repatriation or evacuation as well as accepting new and renewal passport applications.
  • Maintaining good relations with the Thai government and local authorities relevant to Australia’s consular and other interests.
  • Assisting the Embassy in relation to Australian commercial, cultural, educational, scientific and technological interests in the consular district as required.
  • Building general public awareness of Australia through the dissemination of information.
  • Engaging in ceremonial and public affairs activities as a representative of Australia.
  • Acting as a communication channel between the Australian Embassy, Bangkok and the Thai government in the consular district, when requested.
  • Supporting visiting Australian officials (such as during the Embassy Outreach visits) and performing other duties as requested by the Australian Embassy, Bangkok,
  • Participate in the activities of the international Consular Corps in Chiang Mai.

Services and Limitations: 

The Consulate and the Honorary Consul “cannot” perform the following services:

  • Notarial services – can not witness or certify documents, complete statutory declarations for visa extension, income verification letter, residence certificates, letters to open bank accounts, etc.
  • Passport application – cannot accept or process
  • Marriage in Thailand – can not register or take a statutory declaration

These services are provided by the Australian Embassy in Bangkok or during Outreach visits to Chiang Mai (see below for more details).

  • Visa or Australian Citizenship – can not provide advice or accept applications

These services are provided by the Australian Visa Application Centre, Thailand – (see more details below)

How and Where to Obtain these Services

Australian Embassy Bangkok

Please see the Embassy website dealing with support for Australians in Thailand – check out the various pages through the menu at this webpage link

Embassy Consular Outreach to Chiang Mai

These visits are conducted by the Embassy every two months during the year to provide some notarial services & to accept passport applications. Note: Visit dates & details are posted on the Australian Embassy’s website that you can check here – OUTREACH

Notarial Services

During the Outreach Program in Chiang Mai only certain notarial services can be provided – others can be provided at the Embassy in Bangkok – see the Outreach Link above or refer to the this Embassy Notarial page.

For more information or to find out about a particular notarial service availability or the cost please contact the Australian Embassy Consular Service Section directly:

Phone 02 344 6300 or email –

The Australian Embassy advises there has been an increase in notarial fees from 1 January 2017.  The new fee schedule is available on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s website or by contacting the Embassy.


The Australian Embassy Passport office can assist with the renewal of existing passports, new applications, passports for minors and replacements for lost or stolen passports.

You can find more information on this Embassy webpage: Australian Passports

Further Information and forms are also available at – 

Lost or stolen passports – in Thailand a Police report needs to be obtained and you should cancel your passport through the website at –  Emergency travel documents and/or new passports can only be obtained from the Embassy in Bangkok.

If you have questions about the applications or process please contact the Australian Embassy Consular Passport Section directly on 02 344 6300 or email –

Registering a Marriage in Thailand

There are specific steps and processes to follow to have your marriage registered in Thailand and to be recognised in Australia.  The first step is to make a statutory declaration with the Australian Embassy either in Bangkok or during their Outreach to Chiang Mai. Here is their detailed website page that offers links to all the steps involved with: Marriage in Thailand

Australian Visa’s or Citizenship Applications

For visa or citizenship inquiries please contact or visit the Australian Visa Application Centre Chiang Mai, operated by VFS Global, for the Australian Government.  The Consulate in Chiang Mai cannot provide any information or advice in regards to these matters.

Contact details: Siriphanich Building L6, 191 Huay Kaew Road (opposite side to Maya Centre/above Channel 7/adjacent Play condominium)


Phone: 02 118 7100 or email: –

Other Information or Support

The consulate supports the Embassy consular services team in the North of Thailand and will become involved in consular cases and assistance at the request of the Embassy. This may involve matters such as hospital visits, arrest and prison visits, welfare checks, death and help to victims of crime or other support as deemed as necessary and in line with the Consular Service Charter.

If you are not clear or uncertain about services that are available or other support or information please feel free to contact the Consulate in Chiang Mai for further assistance and references. See the contact us page on the menu.

You can view the Consular “Service Charter” (see the menu) to find out more about services that can and can not be provided.


%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close