The Consular Corps of Northern Thailand (24 missions), including the Australian Consulate, has been asked by the Governor of Chiang Mai Province to participate in a World Fair 2018.
This event is a joint venture between the Governor and Consular Missions based in Northern Thailand to strengthen links between the people and the world community. The theme is “Around the World in Chiang Mai – Gateway to the World”. Chiang Mai World Fair 2018 will be held June 22 – July 1 2018 (10 days) at the Chiang Mai International Exhibition and Convention Centre.
Last year 22 countries participated in the 1st CMWF17 – a 3-day event that attracted over 180,000 visitors. The Australian Consulate participated. A number of Thai Australian Alumni and Aussies from the Expat Club helped out & it was a lot of fun – you can check out what we did last year here – Showcase Australia.
This year Chiang Mai World Fair 2018 will be held jointly with Lanna Expo 2018, a popular annual event which targets Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Lampang and Mae Hong Son provinces and last year attracted over 400,000 visitors to the 10 day event. This years CMWF18 goal from the Governor is to showcase world cultures, international products and promote cultural exchange and opportunities for international education and tourism. Lanna Expo promotes trade, investment, and the potential of the North, as well as the Greater Mekong Sub-region (GMS), which extends to Thailand’s neighboring countries.
Our Pavilion will have this “Theme” and 3 “Focus Areas”
All About & Visit Australia
- Coastal, Nature & Wildlife
- Destinations & Food culture
Study in Australia
- Education agents
- Thai Aus Alumni – in the North
Australia in Thailand
- Embassy activity, engagement & Consulate Chiang Mai
- Food & products; Consumer goods/services
- Expat Australian in Chiang Mai
The Consulate is in liaison with a variety of contacts and reaching out to those involved with Australia in Thailand in a variety of ways. These involve the Australian Embassy in Bangkok, Public Diplomacy section; Austrade at the Embassy, Australian Thai Chamber of Commerce, Bangkok and Thai Australian Alumni. The Consulate is also collaborating with a variety of people for design, decorations, displays, and activities in our booth. There is a very limited budget to deliver our Australian showcase so volunteer assistance is necessary.
Hi Aussie Community in Chiang Mai & the North
The Australian Consulate in Chiang Mai is reaching out to local Australians to seek expressions of interest or ideas to “get involved” with our Australian Pavilion at the Chiang Mai World Fair 2018.
AUS Booth Host – looking for outgoing Australian’s who would be willing to offer about 2 hours of their time on nominated days. Role to staff and operate the booth, greet & interact with visitors potentially working with a Thai Uni student. Run some booth activity as agreed. Likely staffing would be in 2 hour blocks such as the following times: 11-13:00; 13-15:00; 15-17:00; 17-19;00
If you want to help out, please in the first instance, make contact with the volunteer Consulate CMWF18 AUS Pavilion Resource Coordinator– who has so kindly agreed to offer her support to assist in the planning & delivery of the Australian Pavilion:
– Leanne Holloway – Email: email@example.com or feel free to speak to Leanne by calling 0873 057818.
So what is planned for the Aussie Pavilion
Here are some details of what is likely to be involved.
Booth Design & Decorations – Our booth will be 8 m x 6 m or 48 sq meters of space with large backdrop pictures/collage ideas – based on themes/focus areas
Booth Operations – 11 am to 7 pm – Staffing
- Thai Uni student x 1
- Consulate – 2 hours a day!
- Thai Aus Alumni
- Volunteer Coverage: (11-13); (13-15);(15-17) & (17-19) hours daily
Potential Booth Participants
Australia in Thailand – Products & Services
- Taste Australia – Rimping Supermarkets – Australian food product displays
- Product – Blackmores – Aussie brand
- Services – Dollarsmart/Baht Smart – money transfer from Australia to Thailand
- Elephant Parade – Aussie Flag Elephants (display, promote) – await reply
- Australian Author & books
- Austcham – promotion (banner/hand out)
Know and Visit Australia – Tourism/Culture/Information
- Tourism Australia collateral & pull up banners
- Booth backdrop pictures – (Tourism Australian image gallery)
- Australian information
- Smartraveler materials/Banner
- Australia in Thailand – limited
- Australia booklets – limited
- Australian information tri-fold brochure
Study in Australia
- Education agents (5 for 2 days each) – Austrade coordinating – banners
- Thai Australian Alumni – promote – Live and Learn in Australia – banners
Potential Booth Activities
– 3D Goggles (loan from Phuket Consulate) – app on smartphone/table (wi-fi??)
– TV Monitor with video/still picture slideshow – Australia Tourism gallery pictures
Games & Prizes –at nominated times
- Lucky spin wheel
- Aussie Slanguage Test
- product supplier giveaways and Aussie gifts?
Selfie Opportunity/Lucky draw contest
- create “iconic background” in the backdrop
- selfie’s supported with props (toy wombat, boomerang, Aussie hat, selfie frame)
- Kangaroo & surfboard cardboard props for a selfie
- #/tag Australian Pavilion Facebook page
- one after first 3 days, second after next 4 days and one after last 3 days
- Prize: Aussie Flag Elephant
Food sampling – at nominated times
- Anzac biscuits
- vegemite sandwich squares
Aussie symbol Face painting – at nominated times
- 2 painters each weekend (Fri to Sun)
Alumni – nominated times
- “live and learn in Australia” – talks & visitor engagement
- “where did you study” selie banner”- hold up State sign?
- post to Australian Pavilion Facebook page –
– nominated times – photo opp – Zoo to provide or Embassy suit
- Aussie band – maybe Tony, Aussie John & Lindsay?